Saturday 30 May 2015

Fleamarkets - Paris - St Ouen/Cligancourt


Believe it or not, there was once a time that I didn't have a clue what a fleamarket was! I think my first 'taste' of the thrill of the fleamarket was in Paris. I'd heard of this magical place called Cligancourt and was determined to go. As I didn't know what to expect, I was in raptures when I finally saw it.  It was like a world unto itself - a sort of village with little shops and stands all selling utterly intriguing things. That was many years ago, and I have to say, that the fascination I have for Cligancourt hasn't waned. What has changed however, is my tolerance for the crazy prices charged, and the arrogance of some of the dealers. I was stopped from taking pictures in some places even though I asked nicely, and I also found that the range of items on offer is not as exciting as it once was. So I'm going to cut to the chase and take you to my favourite place - Daniel et Lili, 128 in the covered Marché Dauphine (140 Rue des Rosiers).  By the way, to reach Cligancourt I suggest you go to metro Garibaldi and walk from there. That way, you miss out having to traipse through roads of tat before reaching Cligancourt proper.

Sadly a little too small for me!

This incredible place sells an enormous range of hair and other accessories from around 1930 to 1980.  There's lots of early plastic which I LOVE, and lots of old stock, so you get repeats of things. Whilst I was there there was a wonderful group of vintage-clad ladies searching for 1950's sunglasses of which there was a huge range, although a bit beyond my price-range (starting at around £35). 

















As well as being a go-to place for the vintage accessory lover, I imagine that Daniel et Lili is also the inspirational hunting ground of certain designers. For example, I saw a brooch here that I think had also caught the eye of a certain Cath Kidston as I bought something pretty similar in one of her shops a few months ago - unless of course she'd also got hold of a stash of originals ? Here are a few things to give YOU some inspiration too!


As well as the main shop, there's an outside area which sells a range of cheaper things (some broken bits and pieces too which are a bargain if you're a dab-hand at fixing stuff). These beaded flowers start at around £3 for the small ones. I think they're used to create funeral wreaths in some countries - not that I care. I think they're beautiful!


By the way - I did get told off for taking photos - so either be sneaky, or ask and just hope they're in a good mood! 

Read my next entry for more Paris fleamarket tips!





1 comment:

  1. Amazing stuff. Glad the trip is going well.

    ReplyDelete