Thursday 11 June 2015

Fleamarkets - Paris - Montreuil


I'm just going to say one thing about this fleamarket, and that is, don't bother. I had read various reports that this was still THE place to go to nab a hidden gem. Out on the peripherique in the 20th district (metro Lemierre), I really struggled to find it at all, wasting an hour wandering around. I finally had to go into a Macdonalds to log onto wifi to try and figure out where I was. Tea and chips in a Macdonalds in Paris is not really want you want to be doing! Anyway after being told by the helpful guy behind the counter that the area wasn't even safe, I bravely marched on and finally located the place on the main junction with the motorway. Not sure how I missed it really as it's tucked under the Carrefour and stretches as far as the eye can see. After all that effort, what a disappointment! Row upon row of complete tat - lots of cheap household goods and new clothing.


The only thing of vague interest, was a barrow selling fresh herbs and a rather sorry yet intriguing-looking collection of dolls shoes - most of them missing their pairs. No fabulous vintage finds to be had at all. If there ever were real brocanteurs then they've long moved out. 'Nil points' I'm afraid for both location and wares.


No comments:

Post a Comment