Sunday 28 June 2015

Cannes glam on the cheap!


I may like wild swimming, but as my friends know, I also need a large slug of glamour to top up my zest for life. Thus after my adventures in the Alpes-Maritimes I headed down to the French Riviera to Cannes. Now of course I can't afford to stay in Cannes in a luxury hotel (or even a basic one),  so instead Bambi and I made the 'canny' decision (actually it was just pure luck) to stay in a campsite called La Paoute near Grasse. The reason I ended up in this lovely campsite was that unbeknownst to me, campervans can't park in Grasse and nor are they meant to go into the centre of the town. I discovered this after going round and round in the boiling heat and being beeped at over and over again by French drivers with their upturned noses well out of joint. Anyway, as it happens, I found La Paoute, 5km from Grasse, in my Aire Du Campingcar book. Not only is it a great campsite with roomy spots surrounded by olive trees for only 13 euros a night (I'm still not in high season), but it also has a proper-sized swimming pool and a lovely welcoming team, including a British guy who does the food at the bar should you choose not to not cook for yourself.


Much to my delight I also discovered that from the campsite you can take the bus from the end of the road to both Grasse and Cannes for just 1.50 euros each way. Such is the wealth of this part of France that it can subsidise bus fares quite merrily. It's 40 minutes to Cannes door to door, and so this girl, much in need of some sophistication,  hopped on the bus!


One expense I chose to indulge in was to pay 10 euros for one of those mini tourist trains that takes you around the well-known sites of the town and throws in a bit of history too. I was really glad I did this as I was able to sit back and gaze at the old world glamour of the famous hotels built in the 30's along the glitzy La Croisette without lifting a finger or indeed a pied! Apparently, the twin cupolas of the Carlton are modelled on a pair of very pert breasts. Fancy! All the film stars in the world have stayed at these hotels. I will stay there too of course - one day!


It may sound crass. But I really wanted to SMELL THE MONEY in Cannes. And I did. The yachts make you choke in their over-indulgence and the beautiful people are suitably kept apart in their private beaches. Luckily, you can use the public beaches too for free. Which of course I very happily did.


No visit to Cannes would be complete without a glimpse of the red carpet at the Palais des Festivals et des Congres. I'm looking forward to when my film director brother Anthony Baxter gets a screening here which I know he will at some point.


Also well worth seeing is the old town of Le Suquet which was once a sleepy fishing village before it became the focus of so much glitz. There's a great view from the Notre Dame church. Oh, and a road called St Antoine full of cute places to eat. I admit, I did splash out on a delicious meal and half a bottle of Sancerre. Well why not? Why else did I slog my guts out on the BBC's foreign planning desk if not to be able to indulge in a little luxury from time to time on my hols!






No comments:

Post a Comment