Tuesday 5 May 2015

MJ meets Babette in Antwerp



I first read about Babette and her passion for vintage a few years ago and had always wanted to meet her. As I was in Antwerp where she's based, I revved up the Mobile Makery and headed over to her house where we chatted over a delicious cup of violet tea in her wonderfully retro kitchen.



It was Babette's Mother who first taught her to sew. In fact Babette remembers falling asleep to the sound of her Mum's sewing machine whirring away in the room next door. Unlike many teenagers who eventually drop the handmade aesthetic, Babette carried on making her own clothes and after a while friends asked her to design things for them too. Jobs with Dries Van Noten and Belgian milliner Elvis Pompilio amongst others could have seen her move into the world of couture, but instead she decided to set up her own Etsy business. Babette's Vintage Designs was born of her love of the 30's, 40's and mid-50's in particular. The styles she offers come from adaptations of original vintage patterns plus a few more modern designs tweaked to create her own signature look. All the pieces have individual names and are made to measure. 

Being curious, I asked if I could have a sneak peak of Babette's own wardrobe and I was thrilled to find it packed with gorgeous clothes she's made herself. Of all the items in her closet, there were only a couple of things she'd actually bought. This is a woman who really believes in what she does and practices what she preaches. 


When Babette's not sewing (or working as a dental assistant - oh yes, we creative types need to have many strings to our bows) she's indulging in her passion for synchronised swimming. She set up her own group, Solange's Travelling Wonder Show, which performs in art-deco pools across Belgium. She even designs and makes the fabulous swimwear herself. 

Top tip: to keep hairstyles in place in the water - you need lots of gelatine. And when it comes to waterproofing your makeup - try hairspray.  Close your eyes and hold your nose first of course!


You know me and my lack of willpower. Well, I just couldn't resist, and ordered one of Babette's dresses for myself.  She measured me up and we arranged for the finished dress to be sent to the UK at the end of my 'grand tour'. However, the 'sewing fairies' got to work and within just TWO DAYS my dress was ready for me to collect. I'm wearing it in this picture, and it fits me like a glove! It's lovely. 

There was just time for me to show Babette one of the techniques from my millinery book The Modern Girl's Guide to Hatmaking. Then we took a photo in the Mobile Makery, after that is, Babette had chosen the right accessories to accompany her own dress! 

XXX


No comments:

Post a Comment