Friday 29 May 2015

On the road - Reims


Look - I have to be honest, I'm going to skip around a bit here. I'm posting behind time, so although there's more of Paris to come - and one treat in particular to share - I want to bring you up to date. So far, I've been staying with friends, but now it's just The Mobile Makery (aka Bambi) and me heading off into France on our own. My first night away from society was not a huge success. I drove to Reims, only to find the campervan parking place locked for the night. There was an overflow on a lonely road near the sports stadium inhabited by scarey looking youths. I decided not to stay there but made a beeline for Reims centre and the beautiful cathedral. I parked in the public car park fully expecting to be moved on by police. But maybe someone was watching over me. It was a breathtaking sight. Being so close to the Cathedral in the quiet of the evening was amazing. I didn't feel very relaxed though and couldn't sleep for fear of someone knocking on the door!

The cheeky smiling angel is one of the most famous sculptures on the cathedral façade. You can't help but think of the many craftsmen who worked on the building. They must really have enjoyed putting personality into the stone. Maybe this angel took after the man's wife, or his Sister!



I had many curious on-lookers, including this chap and his lovely French bulldog. He assured me I'd be fine!



And how did I get on in the Reims carpark? Hmm.....!




No comments:

Post a Comment